Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Lucha libre

The day was: Monday November 11th 1996 (WCW's Monday night Nitro)

Why I chose this moment in history: Everyone speaks so highly of the prolific Monday night wars, I've seen episode after episode of raw I need to experience the flip side of the coin and watch an episode or two of NITRO. The reason I chose this match is one because I know Rey, two I thought Ciclope's ring attire was cool.

Match of the day: Rey Mysterio Jr. Vs. Ciclope

Winner (18 Year spoiler): Rey Mysterio Jr.

I remember when: The Mondays night wars heightened the entertainment level of professional wrestling 

Lucha Libre

 Hipster side fact: Both Rey Mysterio Jr. and Ciclope (better known currently as Halloween) were trained by Rey Mysterio Sr. (Not Juniors father but uncle.)

Quote of the match:"Are you sure it isn't cyclops . . . e?" Larry Zbyszko. In his defense he was basically right kinda . . . Ciclope is Spanish for cyclops hence one eyed ring gear. Just sounded kinda funny . . . tad bit racist but tad bit funny.


Lucha Libre

Opinion / Observations:
- In contrast to the ECW show I watched this was something I was more used to aesthetically.

- The match itself I didn't find all that interesting, I was expecting a super fast pace, tons of spins and flipping, sure there was some of all that but not enough I preferred the ECW match.

- Remember how I had said I chose this match due to Ciclope's ring gear? Well the allure wore off quickly it got more and more stupid as the match went on. The whole eye above the eyes thing did kind of mess with you though. And what messes with you more is his tongue, the mask illusion he was rocking accentuated the weirdness of Ciclope licking Rey's head while keeping the small man in a submission hold.

- The moves that were impressive during the match were the sunset flip / power bomb Ciclope exceuted with both men out of the ring. Rey performing a diving crossbody again . . . outside the ring. As well as the leg scissors Rey used to you guessed it pull Ciclope out of the ring.

- What was more interesting than the amount of people watching the match. Not just me not just the fans but the amount of wrestlers that came to watch the match. First there was the Ultimo Dragon (who had 8 belts at the time . . . just impressive) and his manager. Than there was Dean Malenko walked out standing at the end of the ramp. THEN Psicosis came out to watch Dean Malenko watch the match. In the most intense 90's jeans and the copatively way cooler Luchador mask.

- All in all look wise, what I used to, spectator wise intense, match wise sub par.


Other show notes:

- Unlike the previous shows ( two shows ) I watched and reviewed I didn't quickly check out after the selected match, I watched the rest of Nitro and I did find genuinely the show.

- I found it hilarious as the announcer explained that Wrestling had been brought to the internet via WCW's websiite. "On the World wide web." The screenshot of the website in today's eyes looked . . . anchient and sad but at the time this was innovative and awe inspiring, as was this whole new internet sensation.

- The NWO was supposed to be bad ass and bully's and what not, but X-Pac is . . . just a tool. I was taken out the whole NWO storyline just staring at X-Pac sticking his tongue out and being obnoxious. All I could think was . . . "This dude is a tool."

- Virgil or Vincent as he was in WCW Ted Diabiase's man servent of whatever on the other hand looked less like a tool in his NWO outfit maybe sleveaves helped.

- And there was a man with full sleves of hair . . . one of the furriest wrestlers I've ever seen Miguel Perez








-  Another look and all together impressive wrestler that I want to watch more of? Zero ( Chigusa Nagayo) A big brute of a woman who predated Awesome Kong and even Chyna  . . . I honestly did think she was a dude at first but in a weird way it made her even cooler.


And will end with one last photo of someone who I think trancends all comapanys all decades all tads and decor Jimmy Hart


No comments:

Post a Comment