Saturday, November 1, 2014

Birth of a Dead Man

The day was: Thursday November 22nd 1990 (Survivor series.)

Why I chose this moment in history: It's my birth year so this as far in the past as I can say "When I was young" and it actually being factually accurate. Truthfully I was born in april so I have a few back in my day's saved for later.

Match of the day: The Undertaker, Greg Valentine, The Honkey Tonk Man and Ted Diabiase Vs. Bret Hart, Dusty Rhodes, Jim Neidhart and Koko B Ware


Winner (24 year spoiler alert in the making.) : The Million Dollar Team

I remember when: The Undertaker made his televised debut.
Hipster side fact: Undertaker originally had a first name. Cain. Guess the WWF liked it so much they used it twice.
Quote of the match: Gorilla: There's only supposed to be four members on a team; this guy makes four and a half, maybe five.

Million Dollar Team Vs. Dream Team

Opinion / Observations:

-If this match is any indication of the Undertaker's early WWF years, this has the possibility to be my favorite Undertaker. From his simple ring gear especially appreciate the giant ass tie and the business In the front and funeral party in the back mullet. In this match he really embodied that stoic, basically soulless demeanor. His slow but powerful ring action had it's desired effect of portraying imposing force. The Undertaker I was introduced to over a decade later, still great, still intimidating but to me it wasn't the same sense of awe and a little bit of fear he exuded in his early years. It was more so "check out the badass who destroys everyone in his path and has a bitchin fog machine." In my frequent youtubing I've seen matches from a few different manifestations of the Undertaker but early Undertaker and Ministry of Darkness Undertaker are the two I know the least about so perhaps I'm jumping the gun just a smidge.

-  I did not know that Paul Bearer wasn't by Undertaker's side from the very beginning. It was interesting and somewhat amusing to see what seemed to be the out of place Brother Love at Undertaker's side, all red faced and spastic while Undertaker lurched around ambivalent.

- Koko B. Ware is an awesome name . . . and that's all I have to say about that.

- Ted DiBiase's "Bodyguard" Virgil . . . weirds me out. I don't think it's his persona that's odd to me I get it, and if it didn't work they wouldn't use that same idea over and over and over again. What is it about Virgil I don't like then? As shallow as it is to me overtime I saw him all I could think is: " Dude you got a weird face and the rose colored sleeveless tuxedo . . . thing is doing you no favors either." And I get it that's the look they were going for man servant pool boy thing, still distracting to look at.

- Heard Ted DiBiase's theme for the first time, and I love it so much it was great.

Other Show notes: The other debut of the night, of which people forget the Gobbledy Gooker (of whom I had never heard of till I watched WWE Countdown's infamous gimmicks.) The egg cracks slowly, dramatically and out pops the . . . turkey. "Don't tell me you're the Gobbledy Gooker" Mean Gene spoke as if it was a huge deal. "Oh no, oh the humanity the Gobbledy Gooker . . . thing person I totally have heard legends about." Said no one ever. There was some scattered I guess what could be called cheers. Then some awkward dancing. Followed by some super impressive rolls. Mean Gene bouncing off the ropes tripped and fell and did a more impressive (and by impressive I mean hilarious) roll of his own. More hoedown dancing and rolling and cartwheels before the painful segment came to a odd close.

Gobbledy Gooker

Another odd close? This post.

No comments:

Post a Comment